Friday, October 06, 2006

Lately all you see on magazines and the news is this big controversy how actresses and models are "too thin". It certainly seems to be much worse than years before, and I could not imagine being a young teen at this time. I was talking with a friend today and I said that the days I feel the best about myself are the days that I don't turn on the television or read a magazine. We are bombarded with images and headlines that tell us we are not good enough. I saw an interview on a talk show recently where actress Jamie Lee Curtis was discussing her new book and she was so on point about the whole act of living life fully and not making it about the destination, but the journey itself.
I know the whole thing seems so "too deep" to be thinking about with so many fun things I could be doing right now, with both kids in bed sleeping and the house to myself, but I cannot help wondering :How am I going to teach my children, especially my daughter, to trust and honor herself, her body, her intuition? To not compare herself to others and try to mold herself into an unhealthy image? To see that what makes her different from others are her blessings not something to be put aside? How can I teach her all of this when I do not even see it in myself?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey G,
I've thought about this so many times myself. My daughter has inherited her father's "big boned" structure, and though she is a beautiful girl, I am sometimes anxious about this issue, that she will somehow see herself as less than ideal. It's hard to battle the mass media and mainstream America. But, you're right: avoiding pop literature more is a good start!