Sunday, October 15, 2006

Making Strides and Tantrums

Today was the Making Strides for Breast Cancer walk and it was a beautiful day. The sun was strong and the air was cool down at the Jersey Shore. My Mom and I walked, pushing along the stroller with the 2 kids. I am a very emotional person and I certainly got all choked up when the speakers get up beforehand and tell their stories, but these women are so inspirational. To hear their strength during the darkest time of their lives really makes you think.

Thank you again to all my friends and family that donated.


Before the walk began

After the walk



Sarah had a bit of a tantrum from wanting to walk by herself and being tired. She screamed so loud and so long and I sware that I have never seen her like that before. She was not a happy camper, especially when I pulled out the camera ( ya know, I am one of those people that gets so worked up when watching "funny home videos" or whatever on TV when you see the child screaming or whatever and the parent is just sitting there taping it and laughing at them) Yeah, so I guess that parent is now officially me. It's not that I didn't want to comfort my child, she was truly inconsolable. By the time we made it back to the car, no one was happy, not Momma and definately not her.




My little fat pumpkin was fine once the walk began and I had to hold him for a while. Yes, I carried the big man (all 22 lbs of him) while walking amongst thousands of people, at least until he fell asleep. He slept the remaining time we walked, through the tantrum and passing the bagpipers too!

Once we got back to the car it was difficult to leave the area since so many other people were still walking. So we drove in a few circles and then I decided to pull over into a vacant spot and nurse him. (well, he actually is the one that made that decision with his whining) I picked him up and carried him back into the front seat with me when I felt a little wetness. It seems he had pooped through his diaper and onesie and I retrieved him just in time. So I walked back around the car and started changing him on the floor of my oh-so-cool minivan. Well, it was like an operation room gone bad. Poop everywhere, me screaming - I need another wipie-STAT! Of course I had no change of clothes for him, because frankly, I always have one and today I just needed the extra space in the diaper bag. My poor Mom is probably hating me right now between the snapping at her in the car when we were trying to find a way out of town and the Poop-Change-From-Hell.

What I learned today: Always bring a change of clothes for babies, no matter where you go - Also lots of baby wipes

1 comment:

Claudeaspace said...

Hi G, I appreciate your comments on my blog! Your kids are sooo...cute, even when crying! I've always wanted to do one of those walks. My cousin died from breast cancer a few years ago and I've been wanting to participate in something to increase awareness and funding for reseach for all types of cancer. I want to add you to my "blogs I read" section, but don't know how, actually I don't have one yet and you'd be the first person that I add. Maybe you can enlighten me on how to do that, I'd appreciate it. Well, I'll be checking you out regularly. Thanks again!