Friday, October 13, 2006

My children's future

What am I doing to ready my children for their future? What type of people will they be? Today, it seems that you turn on the news and it is filled with celebrity gossip and biased political rantings. I don't want to think that my daughter will introduce herself at a job interview as a Democrat or Republican. I don't think that it is anymore important whether her shoes come from Nordie's or Payless. How will my son fare while playing high school sports when it is so clear that even township politics affects school board decisions?
Our country is so divided by politics, race and religion. Why do I see more on the news about an actor's drunken statements than the rebuilding on the Gulf Coast? Why are people so shocked by said statements? I hear the same things in conversations all the time - in a local restaurant, on the sidelines of a children's football game? We seem to judge others and divide ourselves. Even the deeply religious people I know judge others, by sexual orientation, or racial background. My God does not segregate.
Do we not all live on the same planet? Are we not all human beings?
I think that we need to put down our cell phones and turn off the entertainment channels a little more often and pay more attention to what is going on in our homes, cities, and our nation. I am afraid for what will come for the next generation. I am afraid that more and more people will continue to dislike election times because of the scathing campaign commercials and the distrust of our policiticians. "Public service" right? I guess we need to make it "self service" to make something good happen.

No comments: