Thursday, November 30, 2006

The holiday season is officially upon us. I find myself crying, over and over again, to "I'll Be Home for Christmas". I cannot wait until I begin my annual baking - I even have a few new ideas this year for treats!! I am so hoping that Sarah will find interest in "The Grinch Stole Christmas". Most of all though, I want to find a way to teach her "Christmas" as a feeling. A feeling that we, at least I, would like to keep in my heart all year long. People smile more at strangers, they give more donations - whether it be time or money. There is an over all joy in the air. I want my children to not grow up thinking about what they want, but what they can do for others. Santa Claus will visit our home this year, but as my children grow, I certainly want it to be about more than their Christmas lists. The truth is, hubby and I have always had a lifestyle where we have all that we need and a little more. The holidays are always difficult because frankly, there is nothing that we need. If we "want" something, we usually just go out and get it. I really hope that in this materialistic age I can teach my children that difference. Perhaps, as I sit here thinking about it, I can start up some holiday traditions with them more focused on volunteering and helping out those less fortunate.

Honestly, I just hope that I don't get lazy and give in to the craziness and excess of the holiday. I always have these bright ideas that I think are so thoughtful and then, I don't act on them. That is what I need to work on. The truth is, I can "think" all I want, but my kids are going to learn more from my actions than any words I speak to them.

No comments: