Sunday, November 26, 2006

Affirmations

I never really practiced affirmations before, but today seemed a good day to try something new. Hubby and I had a small arguement about something stupid. After finishing up what we each felt we had to say, I just repeated in my mind a short, but very positive statement. I kept at it and I began to feel myself smile. Normally after such an arguement I feel the need to keep asking him questions, and bringing up the same silly thing we just had argued about. This was much nicer. I kept thinking it and I was much nicer to my husband, my kids, strangers we met along the way. I felt emotionally lighter and wondered why I hadn't tried this before.

I always find myself speaking very positive to Sarah, always giving her a "thumbs up", always telling her how proud I am when she does something by herself, such as clean up or help her brother with a toy. I stopped to listen to my own little "cheerleader" and realized there wasn't one. The only thing I heard up there in my little head was a tone that I didn't like. No wonder I feel badly so often, no wonder I feel "not good enough" sometimes (ok, most of the time).

So this evening, after a nice, quiet, alone trip to the supermarket, I did some research online about "affirmations". I found this website which breaks it down pretty easy. I think in my younger years, I certainly would have found this quite "corny" and would never have admitted to even entertaining the idea of it all. But now, I am beginning to realize that I can "control" alot more of my life than I used to believe. So, here goes with trying something new, and hopefully forming a new and good habit.

No comments: