Friday, August 04, 2006

Sick Days

Sick days are not the same once you have children. These tiny little people depend on you for everything and even if you have the world's worst headache, there is no time off, no rest. I want to scream " LEAVE ME ALONE!!" But I look down into her little face and know that she needs me. I see that no matter what, I am important to her.

That's funny, seeing as I really never was very important to myself. Now that life has changed and what happens at home is far more important than anything I "should" be doing elsewhere. Now, I want to eat right and lose weight, not to look "good" or to impress, but because I know I need to take care of myself so that I can be a better caretaker for others. Now, I see it is more important to take the moments as they come instead of worrying ahead of time what "might" happen.

In my own selfishness I might not have had children if I had known exactly the emotions and hard work that went into raising them. I would have missed out on so much because I always took the easy way out. I see now that the hard work is what defines us and makes us see what is possible. I wonder what else I could do if I applied the same passion to something else as I do my children. I hope that I can show them something good, so that they do not just float through life as I had for so long.

No comments: