Monday, August 07, 2006

No longer about me

It was one of those days today that remind me that this life, right now, is not at all about my needs, but those of my children. My baby boy hates the summer heat and I tried, once more, to enjoy the sunshine and he let us know how he felt about it. He cried and screamed, and I, his own mother, could not console him. As soon as I took him into the car and the a/c, I think he actually cracked a smile.

It was not until my second child that I started learning that other people actually have needs. I suppose I have always been pretty oblivious to anyone else's needs and even with my first baby, she was so good, I could go and do whatever I needed or wanted to do, she just came along for the ride.

Now there are two little ones, depending on me, and it seems, I on them. They set the time and mood of the where and when of our day. It doesn't matter if Momma wants to stay, if little boy blue wants to leave, we leave. Either that or his screaming will make everyone else leave.

I know it probably sounds like I am complaining, but really, these little people have made me see that the world is much bigger and better than I ever imagined it to be. There is so much out there that I never bothered to see, and my tiny problems are nothing compared to the passion I now feel in helping them see the endless possibilities before them.

No comments: