Sunday, April 15, 2007

red lipstick

As I was lying in bed in the other night, in that space between sleep and alertness, I had a picture appear in my mind's eye. The picture was just of a woman's face, young and vibrant, wearing red lipstick. I had the presence of mind to sort of slow down and just concentrate on her face. As I silently watched, she started to age, like those age progression films you would see on Discovery Channel or something. I watched the laugh lines form and the full, red lips withered into small, tightly closed threads. What sort of life did this woman have? Who the heck is she? Did she laugh alot? Did she have love in her life? Her soft and leathered skin made me think of a beautiful Native American standing in the sun, working, being one with the earth. Her eyes made me wonder what she had seen in her life. Heartache? Pain? Joy? I'm really not sure who it was, not someone familiar to me or my life, as yet I suppose. But as I sit and think about it, I think about my own aging and how it will happen. I hope to have laugh lines so deep they hold all the joy I feel and hope to find. My body will always show that I have been privileged to birth two beautiful children. I hope to feel the sunshine and always see the beauty in the natural earth. I try, even now, to look and listen more to what's around me. Take it in. Feel it.

I guess I'll be going to purchase some red lipstick soon.....

No comments: