Sunday, May 27, 2007

sad snapshot sunday

My wonderful Grandpa passed away this evening while hubby and I were on the way to see him. I did kiss him this afternoon and tell him I Loved Him, so, I suppose that should be enough, but it's not. I hated seeing him in pain, I hated wishing him to get better when it didn't work. I am thinking about what to tell Sarah in the morning, yes she's 2 1/2, but pretty smart, and she will wake up remembering we were going to see him in the morning. I am thinking about my Nanny, who just lost her husband of over 55 years, and who just lost her only brother not so long ago. I have never lost someone I loved. Yeah, 32 years of my own life and I guess I should be happy to not have experienced this before, but now, I have to be a mom and I cannot just crumble in the moment.


Pop had heart surgery back before Christmas. He was getting ready to be a candidate for a new kidney. He had to go for dialysis three times a week. Then it was lung cancer. The tumor pushed aggressively onto his esophogus and he has not been able to eat for some time. He was weak and still hoping that the radiation would help shrink the growth. Friday morning he was sick when he went for dialysis and was in the hospital the rest of the day. Yesterday morning the doctor said the CAT scan done at the hospital showed that the tumor had indeed grown and there was nothing left to do, but that they could keep him comfortable with medication. It was suggested that he stop his dialysis. I took the kids to see him yesterday and hubby came with us too. Pop seemed very weak, much weaker than I had seen him in past weeks. This afternoon I took Sarah for a visit and I could see a greater change in him. He was extremely weak and very medicated. He tryed to speak, but had trouble. He was uncomfortable. I kissed him and told him I loved him and would see him tomorrow.

My Mom called this evening to tell me that it was beginning to happen. Hubby called his Mom to come sit with the kids so we could go to the nursing home. I had to. I told him I would see him tomorrow. I wanted to see him now. I wanted to hold his hand and finally see peace in his face. As we finally pulled out of the driveway and up the street, Mom called to say that he was gone. So final it sounds. We turned around and went back home since I am sure my Nanny and other relatives that were there needed to get some sleep.


I think about the smell of his pipes when I was younger. I would climb up on his recliner with the pipe rack next to it. I know I spilled some tobacco on the floor, and would always blame my little brothers. That smell always made me think of him. It always will, even though he hasn't smoked in so many years. That cherry-smoke scent, warm. We used to always go to visit them on Memorial Day. Begin the summer at the Jersey shore. My uncle would put his boat in the water and we would laze about on the deck, look over the bay and not realize that it wouldn't last forever.



your ship has sailed, my sailor man
keep fast to your destination
do not lose your way
we love you Pop

1 comment:

Stepping Over the Junk said...

this was lovely. I am sorry.