Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Better Best Bestest

I listened today and found that the universe is most definately trying to send me a message. The other day while flipping channels, hubby and I came across an awards show where Will Smith was being honored for something or an another. Anyway, he spoke about how he had decided when he was 15 yrs old, after a girl had broken up with him, he would do everything 100% and never be "not good enough" again. He made a decision to be all he could be and to be the best he could be. Fast forward to this morning on The View, rapper-author-actor-hotty LL Cool J was on in regards to his new fitness book. He also spoke about a pivotal point in his life where he decided that he would not accept less than the best from himself. He would be the best "him" that he could be.

Both men stuck in my mind ( not because they are both good looking), but because they had something to say that resonated with me at a deeper level. So this afternoon, while Sarah was napping and I was making lunch for JR, I played the episode of Oprah that I had recorded from yesterday. Bob Greene was on speaking about his new book The Best Life Diet. I was instantly intrigued, not because it seemed to be a "new" diet plan or something else to change my life, but it was simply the word - best.

I'm not quite sure that I have ever put that much effort into anything. Things have always seemed to come pretty easily to me. I have settled for less than the best about myself in my "laziness" I suppose. I got lucky with a great hubby. I got lucky with two easy going babies. I got lucky with cool inlaws. But what about my own personal goals? To be the "best" mother I can be? To be the "best" me I can be?? I tend to procrastinate, make excuses and try to find the easy way to do things. I do not challenge myself, nor do I expect more than average things to happen for me. Perhaps in making that decision, that leap for always striving for bigger and better I can teach my children all that is possible.

No comments: