Thursday, March 29, 2007

temper temper

In dealing with old habits, I am also forced to make some new, better ones. I can sit and watch my babies play, so quietly, then, Sarah will do a "two year old thing" and I will fly off the handle. Did my own Mom lose her patience so easily with me? Why is it too easy to "forget" that she is exploring the world and sometimes not in control of herself? Why do I have expectations of her at all? That is not to say that a child should not be expected to do simple tasks, but I really am tough on her at times. Every day I try to remind myself that she is "new" to this world and I don't want to tarnish her view of it - so open and honest. I never dreamed that when I became a parent this would be my first obstacle. For me, the newborn and infant stage was the easiest. Breastfeeding, no problems. Naptimes, never easier. (Except for bedtime which was even easier for both babies!) My challenge is my own temper and impatience.

I wonder lately if I am too selfish for this mommyhood. I yearn for my own time, which doesn't even come on some days. I have hopes and dreams for myself, as well as my children. I want my marriage to remain good. I want someone to look out for me once in a while. I need to put my mascara on in the morning, lest I forget who I am. I hate the days when I look like the typical SAHM. This battle too, is something I really didn't count on when I was ovulating, and yet, I still think I might want one more child......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good morning. This memo has been a long time coming. Your blogs indicate that you are not 100% pleased with yourself. Evidently the mirror you look in at home does not reflect the absolute terrific person I know and see. I think I will use hypnotism with you (ha, ha). Maggie says sit down, relax, look at the pendulum swinging and repeat "I am not overweight"; "I am good looking"; "I am a good mother and wife"; "I am a very caring and compassionate person"; "I have a good hubby, great kids, nice house, family that loves me"; "I thank God for my eyesight,hearing, etc. and for my hubby, children and all the people in my life";I think I really do not need child number three right now". Now that you know how lucky you are please be happy that you are a SAHM (my interpretation is SATISFIED AT HOME MOM. I love you with all my heart (but you already know that.)