Friday, February 09, 2007

Good Momma

There are times during my day where I wonder what type of mother am I? Am I a good mom? Will my children turn out ok and not so emotionally disturbed? Then I read a news report and see something like this and I have to scream out loud "Yes I am a good momma, hear me roar!!!"

Which now brings me to the question. I see my friends, and various Moms who have their "stuff" together and I wonder, do they really? Are they as dumbfounded as I sometimes? Do they questions every Mommy-Move they make? It really feels sometimes like there is a Mommy Club somewhere that I didn't learn the secret handshake to. The Club that gives you all the answers, like, to remember extra underwear and a plastic baggie in the diaper bag. Or to make sure there is an extra binky in every room of the house. If I don't get my hour to exercise alone each day, I really lose it. I need that for my sanity. Do you know how hard it is to do crunches with a 2 year old sitting on your stomach? Does that make me selfish? I sometimes wonder, because I am not so good all the time at this "mommy last" type of thinking. I sort of think, for me anyway, it would make me not such a good mommy.

A close friend of mine was on the phone today, and she is trying to get pregnant but it doesn't seem to be happening as quickly as she had hoped. I reminded her to relax about it. (this from a woman who got pregnant twice very quickly) As she spoke about the stressful things going on in her life currently, she said maybe she wasn't ready to have kids. I told her I don't think you are ever ready. I am still not ready. I guess if I was ready, it would take the challenge and the fun out of it all.

1 comment:

crazymumma said...

Oh that secret mummy club. the one I have watched from the outside in for almost ten years.

But I'm still a totally great mumma in all my stumbling mess.

Crunches with a two year old? Holy abs of steel....