Friday, December 15, 2006

Challenge

When I moved into the house years ago and lived in loving sin with my now hubby, I, of course, took over the damn place with a woman's touch. Some flowers here, some books there. Knicknacks and little statue things that hubby just will never understand. But he was very firm about one thing, the picture in the living room. This photo which belongs on an office wall. It has annoyed me since day one, but pretty much everything else is "my design" (except for the extremely large television set) and the photo. It's colors, not so bad, I am into green. It blends. However, it just makes me feel as if it should be stretched out on a wall behind an executive desk. No, it hangs over our pack n' play. It is manly and not my "thang".

Now, today, as I glanced around the room, wondering what I could do to dress it up a bit, I realized why I do not like this picture. Challenge. That's what it says. Challenge. Something I have never really done for myself. My goals are always meak and easily attainable. This is why the fabric still lays on the couch downstairs where I should be making some curtains for my bedroom. The truth is, I cannot sew. Not really. I know this will be a difficult task because frankly, I will make mistakes and have to tear out seams and be frustrated. So, I choose to avoid it. I don't want to deal with the anger, impatience and utterly stupid and failing feeling that will consume me. I am not up for the Challenge. I always stick to what I know. Digital pics, scrapbooking, baking. I know these things. It's time to start adding to my list. I am bored. I actually see potential for more design in the house and need to learn to sew because a stay at home momma simply doesn't have the big old wallet to finance all the pretty things I want. The Challenge is here. I could simply use the holidays for an excuse. Or the lack of time with my new found fitness regimen. I don't feel well, my head aches, the babes need me. I can always find an excuse. Or I can step up to the Challenge.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bravo to you for seeing what is right in front of you!
love you.
Mom