Saturday, June 30, 2007

tell ya what I want, what I really, really want....

Actually, I will tell you what I don't want- I don't want an iphone. I didn't want to see the line of people waiting outside the local cellphone store all day, including the woman holding an infant, just to be the first to purchase said phone. I read in our newspaper this morning that this young man said he waited on line because his friends were talking about it and he didn't want to miss out. I'm sorry, were they only being sold for one day? I don't get it. Now, this gives bad drivers one more thing to play with while they should be paying attention to the road. There is no alone time anymore, we are always "plugged in".

Of course I want my children to have the things they need, like food and shelter and some toys. Art supplies work very nicely in our home. Books, even better. But we are so material, and it just seems to get worse by the minute, we are fed into this idea that we "need" these items that are really extras. I am a SAHM, do I really need a cell phone? Honestly, it is a luxury. I like it, but could do without it if I needed to. Like, now I want to look into the dance school for my daughter, cancelling my cellphone will probably offset that cost of the dance class, seriously. I suppose I want my kids to understand that they are not the rich Hollywood celebrities that are plastered all over the media and know the difference between needing and wanting something.

what momma really wants - a quiet day alone at the beach with no cell phones blasting rap music and no screaming kids - now that would be a luxury!!!

No comments: