Friday, June 08, 2007

one more?

This past week I was very sure I was pregnant. I was tired, sick, my chest ached and my "friend" was late. The smell of my daughter's apple juice actually made me throw up. I was excited about the thought of a new little soul coming into our family. The only thing that didn't agree was the home pregnancy tests that I took (quite a few over the past week and a half). But my gut told me I was pregnant. Well, late yesterday afternoon my "friend" arrived, quite painfully and very furiously and now I am sad. Disappointed would be a better word for it. I am good at being preggers. I was at my best. I walked every day. I ate healthier (just add the ice cream daily, please.) I felt good, I talked more positively to myself and others. I felt, well, useful. Now I still felt nauseated this morning and hubby will sware it is all in my head, which, it very well could be. You see, hubby is very content with out family "as is". Of course I am as well, but, I still see no reason to deny another little soul a place in our hearts and home. Yet I am still sad, wondering now, where should I focus my energy. If I bulldoze my way into hubby's face and insist on another child, it begs for an unending arguement. It would seem to be some definate negative energy. But, I am scared, if I move the heck on and focus on other things, perhaps, my own personal goals and projects, will I be ok that this falls to the wayside?

This morning I trolled around the house watering some plants, which I usually forget to do. As I passed by the dining room window something caught my eye. Several weeks ago Sarah and I planted an avacado pit for her to grow her own plant. Because it is in a room that we don't use daily, we forgot about it. It got watered sporadically and recently I remember thinking to throw it out when she wasn't looking since it had not done anything. Today I saw a two inch sprout sticking out of the dirt. Even with not too much attention, this seed had found a way to do what it was supposed to do. I immediately remembered all the passing dreams I have had for myself through the years. Some had just disappeared, but some, like the seed in a sunny window, had found a way to happen with the right help. I realized today that I need to find that thing that I am supposed to do. That thing that will come naturally for me. Maybe we will have another child, maybe we won't. But I certainly don't want that to be what defines me. What I want my children to learn from can't be something I just tell them about, it needs to be something I can show them in my own actions.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maggie says:
I do believe that your tired, sick, etc. feelings are a result of the terrible loss of your Grandpa. There is no doubt that you have many, many happy memories of him in your life and they will help you endure. So glad that the Avacado pit is growing. Sarah probably is checking it 100 times a day. Hope you have enjoyed the weather this week. Hugs & kisses to all. I love you.

Stepping Over the Junk said...

I am SO done having kids. I don't think I could go through a pregnancy again without breaking down (my two pregnancies were VERY difficult). You have time I think!