Wednesday, April 02, 2008

momma's job

It rings true that you can never fully appreciate someone until you have walked in their shoes, whether they be Wal-Mart or Nordrom's. Being home with two toddlers I endlessly wonder how the heck my own Mom did it with 6 of us (three of them being toddlers at the same time!) I complain about my lack of goals and motivation, my own self pity for not feeling like I am "accomplishing" something greater than myself. Then, I need to put down the chocolate bar with almonds and realize that I am doing something now, something that in the future my kids will appreciate only when they have their own kids. sucks, huh? I sort of dig the "make-me-feel-good-now-approach", but I guess 30 years from now will have to do.

My friends and I get on the phone and complain, we feel unappreciated and really need to have our hair colored for real, not at midnight when we are too tired to really read the directions folded up in the box from Walgreens. We all complain that our husbands don't understand, but I think they really do, that's why they always have to work, run to Home Depot, or go put gas in the car, or something, anything out of the house. If they would just admit that we (the loving wives and mothers of their evil offspring), have the hardest job in the universe, we might, might, just shave our legs and cook a dinner that does not include hot dogs or orange macaroni.

And no, I truly don't think that my children are the spawn of the devil, I guess I never understood that real love was for those that can get on your last nerve and dance a jig the whole time. I also didn't know that quietly sitting on the couch at the end of the day with that tired little jig dancer snuggled up to you, his hair smelling like the sand box and hers smelling like Play-Doh, is truly the best feeling in the world.

No comments: