Thursday, March 20, 2008

I really don't like to go so long without blogging. Lately, though, I don't even make it into the basement, which is where the computer is. Yes, we have a laptop also, but if I bring that out the kids think it's time to play, so it's one of those moments where you just have to choose if it's worth the fight.

The kids made it through their illnesses. Sarah, however, seems to have that "asthma cough", so I am taking her to our allergist tomorrow to see what he thinks. I am really obsessed with reading about natural health, and I truly believe that your body is so capable of healing so many things on it's own. But, then when it comes to my child and her life, I just don't know what is right sometimes. Everytime my kids get sick they get a nasty post-nasal drip. It seems like the pediatrician (everyone in the practice), looks in their throats and says "Ah, sinus infection, need antibiotics." Or, they peer into their little ears, which by the way they have expressed no pain or problem with and they say "Oh, red, they have an infection, need antibiotics." I am not a doctor, but I just feel like they have been on medicine an awful lot in their toddler lives. Do I look for a doctor that might see things a little more like me, or, do I trust that the pediatricians know what they are doing? It is frightening because I certainly wouldn't want to leave my children untreated if they truly needed the extra boost, but what about the damage that all those antibiotics do to them? I already give my kids a tsp of flax oil and a probiotic powder in their juice each morning. I know it helps their immune system each day.

I am reading some books now on children and holistic health, and some of it I can take with me, but some of it is not even gonna happen in this house. One doctor suggests that children should be eating liver. Liver. Not here. I have a child who is allergic to milk and one who is allergic to peanuts. Peanut allergy boy will eat mostly anything, but veggies are a problem with both. Milk allergy girl is picky, and sometimes when you make what she does like, she still won't eat. Carrot sticks, rarely. Celery, sometimes, but I have to cut off the strings. No potatoes, broccoli or peas. Corn, maybe, depends on their moods. Oh, and they both drink soy milk, which one of the books goes on talking about soy and how horrible it is for your child and that you should never, ever let them have it.

how do you know if your doing it right?

No comments: