Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Smiling through imperfection

Watching people that surround me I see so much of this "I have to do it all and know what I am doing" mentality. Having kids is not easy, and yet, we want everyone around us to think that we actually know what the hell we are doing. Well I don't.
  • I forget dry pants for my pottytraining boy.
  • I forget my highly allergic daughter's Benadryl.
  • I forget sippy cups and snack bars.
  • I sometimes don't get them outside play time.
  • I hate thinking about dinner and what to make because no one eats the same thing and it is more torture than fun anymore. I used to enjoy cooking, but not so much anymore.
  • I stress about the fact that the house doesn't ever look "neat" anymore. Please just ignore the dustbunnies, they have apparently moved in permanently. Yeah, I wipe down the kitchen and bathroom so that guests don't get too grossed out, but don't enter my closet....ever. I have perfected a skill I call "piling". I can pile anything- laundry (dirty or clean), papers (useful or not), and toys (broken or completely dilapidated).

So here I am today to say I don't have it all together, my family will most likely eat leftovers tonight, and my laundry will never be done. But, it is 8:23am, the kids have been up since 5 o'clock and I haven't yelled once yet today. We have had approximately 1000 Cheerios covering the floor. We have lost an entire roll of paper towels scattered around the house because JR wanted the cardboard tube. Smiles all around and it's all good.

No comments: