Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Eve

Christmas Eve. It's here. I remember this day being even more magical than the actual Christmas for me. We would go to my grandparents house for dinner and gifts. Family time was always awesome. My cool aunt D. My grandmother, who even know is so dear to me. My grandpa, who we especially miss at Christmastime because this was his holiday.
The most special and amazing part of the night for me was when we packed up in the car to head home. Cold air, snuggling in the backseat with my sister and brothers, basically because at that moment we were just too tired to fight with each other. Each of us holding a new and precious toy. It would be so quiet, the night air, low music on the radio, maybe even my parents talking softly about something. I would stare out the car window, hoping, anxious, excited to possibly catch a glimpse of Santa and his reindeer. The whole ride home I would just look and wait, that excitement building as we got closer and closer to our house. The thought that he was out there somewhere, and the possibility of seeing him just a moment was so awesome.

I never did get to see then, but I still love that ride home on Christmas Eve, now from my in-laws' home with my own kids. I hope I can get them as excited about those simple things tonight.

Merry Christmas and I hope that you catch a glimpse of Santa too!

No comments: