Saturday, May 02, 2009

The B....word


I have never been comfortable "forcing" the kids to eat. Each night I do place some sort of veggie on their plate only to have JR ignore it's presence and for Sweet Sarah to scream and cry that it is even on their plate. Never did I make them even take a bite. Last night both kids were just torturing us through dinner - refusing to eat anything, yelling to watch Spongebob, not sitting, being kids really. Hubby was great, Sarah whined and screamed and was immediately sent to her room. He sat patiently with JR and got him to eat his food. After a while, Sarah swore she would come out and eat everything, so we then sat her at the table. "no broccoli though", she mumbled. Back to her room she went. Finally she realized that this was no joke and she must have been hungry. She came back into the kitchen, ate her chicken and rice. I prodded her to try to very small (and I mean small!) piece of broccoli that was still sitting on her plate. "I don't like it, yuck, I'll puke...." on and on she went. Finally she saw there was no way out- I told her to put it in her mouth, chew it 3 times, then take a big swig of her soy milk. She did and after a small gag (self inflicted of course) she was fine- she even smiled at me.
About 10 minutes later while cleaning her room, as Hubby and I took a deep breath from the temper tantrums and screaming that we just dealt with, Sarah peaked her little head out of her room and said "Hey Mom, that broccoli was really good, can I have more tommorrow??"
I sware. Oh, and then she asked if her Aunt was making some broccoli for the party we are going to today. After all that....

No comments: