Friday, March 13, 2009

allergy season

Allergy season has begun in our NJ household and the same as last year, JR's asthma is the first sign of pollination. Poor kid! Wheezing, coughing and running nose. I tried to take care of it myself but in the end had to run him over to the allergist for fear it would get worse. Albuterol, Singulair, another inhaled steroid, it's just too much. My "mommy guilt" trips me up and I just wonder WHY? why does this sweet little boy have to suffer? did I do something wrong? nutritionally or household? I know, why do I do this to myself, as if I am so powerful to create or inhibit such an illness in a child. Well, I do see it's unnecessary blame attached to myself, but I see all his symptoms and just wonder to myself- what is causing this? I am not content to just accept, in this particular situation, that this is it. I feel frustrated when I try to talk to the doctor about nutritional and supplemental support that I have read about in books and online, and then I am turned down and made to feel that that is nothing that I can do. I, as any parent, want to do more for my child and his health.

The really funny thing is that I am so concerned about his well being, and yet, at the age of almost 3, I still completely treat him like the baby of the family. He still uses his "binky" and blanky AND he's still in diapers. So really what the heck is the guilt all about anyway? Or is it just intuition and knowing when to pick the battle and when not to?

No comments: