Monday, October 15, 2007

please do not feed the children

I always thought that when I raised my kids, the meals would be the easy part. I mean, I grew up on artificially colored mac & cheese and lots of pb & j sandwiches, we all grew up just fine. Well, Sarah has the milk/dairy allergy which, all in all is not so bad for the rest of us. I try to cook as dairy free as possible, but she knows that pizza night or other cheesy delights are not for her. She's actually a very picky eater and would never really touch the stuff anyways.

Well, now it seems that my little JR is allergic to peanuts. A few months back we had him tested at the allergist, since he had been breaking out in hives pretty often, and no allergies showed up. In other words, I put my baby through this barbaric skin test on his back and he showed no allergic reactions to any of the common offenders - grass, dogs, peanuts, etc. Yesterday he happened to have a little bit of peanut butter and immediately broke out in hives on his face, head and neck. Rubbing and scratching his little self, I felt so bad for him. The allergist did tell us when he was tested that even though he did not show an allergy during the testing, since he was only 14 months or so at the time, he could still develop an allergy. So now, we'll keep him off peanuts and peanut products.

I guess in the end, we can serve the mac and cheese and pb & j, momma will just have to start making some separate food for everybody (hubby, you eat whatever I make, no complaints.)

No comments: