Friday, October 23, 2009

lesson of the day

I'm not a big "medicine" person. When illness strikes, that is. I do not run off to the doctor the second the kids start coughing, as I know the routine with their asthma. I do not throw various pills into my body when I start to feel stuffy or achy. But this week was different. I had felt as if a bus ran me over, then backed up and ran me over again. I was coughing so hard I think I pulled a muscle in my neck. The other night I handed the kiddies over to Hubby and said- "they are all yours" and went off to bed at 6pm. It was bad.
So yesterday I called my doctor who gladly took me in later that morning. She confirmed that momma was sick.

Trying so hard lately to see blessings in everyday experiences, I found it, even in my coughing fits and fever..... in the midst of doing a breathing treatment- something my kids do on a daily basis for their asthma- I started to feel anxious and jumpy, just not right. When I was finished, I realized it was the meds and understood in that moment how they felt, and most likely, why they both give my such a hard time when it is time to do their meds. At this point we know it's not something that they can stop, as breathing tends to be pretty important. I think though, that I can try to be a little more understanding when coaxing them at breathing treatment time, and thereafter when the effects of the meds are pretty strong.
It truly amazes me, at 35, that there is still a lesson to be learned each and every day.

No comments: