Tuesday, August 18, 2009

scream if you got 'em

Recently I bumped into a neighbor at the local Costco. We always chit-chat for a moment and after our "how-are-yous" he informed me that some of the "neighbors" were wondering what was going on in my backyard with all the screaming that was going on. "I just wanted to let you know" he said. I walked away perplexed, Sarah is certainly a screamer, especially in the pool, or if you chase her, or any kind of vigorous play. Isn't that the whole idea of the "inside voice" thing? Am I supposed to squelch her EXTREMELY high energy outside too??



For the past 10 years Hubby and I have had to listen to all the neighborhood children- laughing and screaming. Jumping on trampolines, pool parties, AND this particular neighbor's LOUD MUSIC. I remember Hubby and I being slightly annoyed at it all, before we had kids. Now we understand a little more.



So, I stew and simmer and worry about what everyone else is thinking... Are the neighbors annoyed with my children's play? Is it rude of me to allow her to express her excitement? We are even trying the whole "use you play voice" thing, I really get that the screaming is annoying, but there is only so much I can do- there are so many other things to worry about here.



When all is said and done, yeah, my kids are loud and active, but they are happy and healthy. At 35 years old, I think I can distinguish between rude behaviour and kids having fun. And also, I do wonder, what is THEIR screaming he was talking about, or was it MINE???





No comments: