Thursday, December 07, 2006

Searching For Traditions

With all the holiday buzz about town, I am coming to see how I as the Mama must "create" the traditions for our new little family. I see people running wild in the toy store, upset because the "it" toy is out of stock. What's the big deal about this toy? I asked myself. Basically, between television commercials and companies not sending enough product to the retailers, the "it" toy is created. We, the public, are told what is cool, what to buy, what our children want. I'm sorry, my children are 2yrs and 7 months, what do they know? They know what I teach them.

What I would like to teach them is how there is more to giving than receiving. That there are people out there that don't have half of the things we have. That the "spirit" of the season can be carried around all year long. But how? How do I do this? What can I do to impart this on our holiday? Don't get me wrong. I am really enjoying the shopping and looking forward to my little cuties faces on Christmas morning, but how do I make it to be more to them than "what I want, what I get?"

Any ideas??

No comments: